Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thankgiving Traditions in the Shell Family!



TwitterMoms asked: "What three favorite family Thanksgiving traditions have you passed or will pass on to your children?"

Well, it used to be tradition that our whole family would get together, cook, watch movies, sing and have all the little kids put on a show for all the older cousins, aunts and uncles. Many of the kids (18 and under) in our family have no idea how strong these traditions used to be as we have all moved, began our own families and stopped really getting together.

It makes me really sad that we don't get together as often, especially during the holiday when we can express gratefulness for the values, stability and dedication to family that my great-grandparents instilled in us.

The most important (favorite to me) Shell Family Thanksgiving Traditions I want to pass onto my children are:

Getting together every Thanksgiving and playing Monopoly (my family members will appreciate this the most! lol)

Thankgiving night talent shows (much to the horror of the participants who get little advance notice) We have a family of performers (singers, dancers, musicians and actors!)

Going around and having each person say what they are thankful for.

Also to remind whoever's doing the cooking to get Nana's (Aunt Pat) and Grandmom's recipe for Banana pudding and Ouma's (Stephanie's) recipe for the Baked Macaroni and Cheese.

And don't forget "One More Time" either. We have to sing this and pray before the first person leaves, to thank God for allowing our family to be able to come together one more time (feel the tears swelling up...).

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am especially going to miss my great-grandmother, who passed away just after Thanksgiving last year: R.I.P Willie Mae Shell

(This post began as an entry to get aTarget gift card, but as I began to write it, it became much more.)





3 comments:

  1. Are you on Twitter? What's your handle? i'll follow you!
    Mine is Aquamarine76

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going around expressing thanks and I love playing a game too. Wonderful traditions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet...I love the family talent show. Wonder if I could get my kids to sing and dance for us?

    ReplyDelete